Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Hornet Training Aid
Martin Edwards
Posted: Jun 10 2015, 10:11 PM
Quote Post

FA-18F Super Hornet (A44)

Group: ADF Serials Admin
Member No.: 27

This photo of a Hornet training aid at Williamtown appeared today in the Defence Media Gallery.
Traces of blue and yellow paint could indicate an ex-Blue Angels aircraft.
Any ideas?
http://images.defence.gov.au/20150609raaf8526970_0017.jpg

Attached Image
Attached Image
PM
gomer
Posted: Jun 11 2015, 02:38 PM
Quote Post

Maurice Farman MF.11 Shorthorn (CFS)

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,691

It was an ex Blue Angels airframe. It came in about '94-'95 for the "battle damage repair course" in Williamtown. It seems that it may be just an airframe training aid now.
PMEmail Poster
Warhawk
Posted: Jun 18 2015, 07:45 PM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Research Co-ord

Member No.: 82

That's what the big red sign on the fuselage says," Training Aid Only",..LOL
PMEmail Poster
asurfin
Posted: Jul 18 2015, 09:30 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 9,715

It is an early ex Blue Angels aircraft, number which now alludes me but no.4 mightve been it. The alleged story behind it was that it was given to the RAAF to fully dismantle to see how the airframe was built on the proviso that any remains be destroyed. After the useful or serviceable parts were removed the hangar was built around it, or squeezed in and reassembled. I believe there was some conjecture over it's future at one point when it was discovered by visiting overseas personnel at BOEING a few years ago since it was supposed to be destroyed. I cant confirm if its a true story, however its true it is a story....

Meanwhile .....'Angel' was used for a number of courses including battle damage, confined spaces courses etc etc. We often worked with and for ABDR from time to time on this aircraft. We often got damaged components (TEF's, shrouds, panels etc) that were U/S from RAAF aircraft that we re-painted and sent over to replace the missing or damaged beyond repair panels from the 'Angel". Somewhere around 2008 it was to be repainted in RAAF colours to cover it's previous identity though sanding it back was as far as it ever got. The airframe was in very poor condition as there was little consideration given to the possibility of air worthiness at a future date. Wiring looms hacked through, holes drilled in etc etc.

So considering it was complete and given to the RAAF, does this make it Hornet number 76?? ;)
PMEmail Poster
Martin Edwards
Posted: Jul 25 2015, 08:50 AM
Quote Post

It certainly qualifies to be included in our ADF-Serials Hornet listing. I believe that there maybe one or two other overseas Hornets now resident here.
PM
asurfin
Posted: Jul 26 2015, 12:33 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 9,715

I know there were a couple of airframes brought in to demonstrate how to perform certain mods while upgrading ours. One was a Canadian fuse with the 'upside down' scheme on it.
PMEmail Poster
Martin Edwards
Posted: Aug 19 2017, 08:22 PM
Quote Post

A Canadian example has made an appearance in Defence Media

Attached Image
Attached Image
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0188 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]