> B-25 Questions
Shep
Posted: Jul 31 2017, 11:54 AM
Quote Post

Pilatus Porter (A14)

Group: Members
Member No.: 39,510

Part1:

This image of 18(NEI)SQN B-25J N5-237 (from warbirdinformationexchange.org) shows a tube type arrangement beneath the forward fuselage.

I have read on various online sites that some people think it was a ventilation/extraction system to expel gases or fumes from the Bombaimers position, one or two people thought it might be a ram-air operated extraction system for discharging spent cartridge casings.

If it was some way of dumping spent brass overboard (perhaps to avoid the risk of striking the propellers), it looks like it would have been prone to blockages. Why would it need to be ram-air assisted? The external gun-packs just pumped the brass straight out of the ejection shutes and the empties from the other guns was either collected in canvas bags or dumped on the floor.

If it was a contrivance for venting fumes, it seems a large and extravagant solution Ė and this installation gives the appearance of feeding back into the fuselage just forward of the forward crew access hatch anyway.

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMEmail Poster
Shep
Posted: Jul 31 2017, 11:56 AM
Quote Post

Pilatus Porter (A14)

Part2:

A similar tube appears on some ďDĒís as illustrated below, but it seems to have been a far less complicated device. This image is from Stewart Wilson, Boston, Mitchell and Liberator in Australian Service (1992) [81].

Can anyone say, definitively, what it was? Iíve looked at a number of (digitised) files on NAAís RecordSearch, thinking that since this thing doesnít appear regularly in images that it must therefore have either been installed or removed at some point and so might have been the subject of a Technical Order, Service Instruction or have been considered in terms of weight and balance. I havenít found any reference to it. Similarly, Iíve looked through a CD copy of RAAF Publication 472 Ė the B-25C & D Erection and Maintenance manual, but didnít see any mention of it (I donít have a ďJĒ model version Ė perhaps it is mentioned in there?). Does anyone know what it was and can anyone provide any proof (ie point me to a primary source document that verifies its use)? It may well have been a gas extractor, but how did it work and why wasnít it necessary for any other (internal) gun positions?

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMEmail Poster
Shep
Posted: Jul 31 2017, 11:57 AM
Quote Post

Pilatus Porter (A14)

Part3:

I have a similar question about the dark fluid like smear that often appears on the left-hand forward fuselage of B-25Dís and sometimes extends up and over the left-hand wing root in a big roosterís tail. The fluid seems to vent from a small breather just aft of the openable hatch at the rear-left of the bombaimers compartment. As with the other question, Iíve looked through the archives and found nothing and whilst RAAF Pub 472 mentions hydraulic accumulator thermal relief valves and exhausts, it doesnít mention (or show in schematic diagrams) of such a device venting overboard. In the images, there seems to be a significant wastage of whatever fluid it was.

The colour image is by George Silk from a Time-Life collection called B-24s in Australia and was taken I think in Townsville and shows an American B-25 (via gstatic.com).

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMEmail Poster
Shep
Posted: Jul 31 2017, 11:59 AM
Quote Post

Pilatus Porter (A14)

Part4:

The other image is also by George Silk and apparently taken at Batchelor in December 1943 for a Time-Life story called Dutch in Australia (also via gstatic.com).

Can anyone tell me or show me what it actually was?

Any help is eagerly sought and would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMEmail Poster
Shep
Posted: Nov 25 2017, 11:04 AM
Quote Post

Pilatus Porter (A14)

Thanks to Sydhuey for e-mailling some answers!

PMEmail Poster
richardavn
Posted: Nov 28 2017, 03:53 PM
Quote Post

Pilatus Porter (A14)

Member No.: 91

More B-25 questions,

Having only been to Darwin during recent Pitch Black events, do any of our historical members have any information serials etc as to the B-25 wrecks that are held in the museum storage yard in town. Better still any serial of other stuff in storage including the Cessna twin, there is an Auster frame in the workshop as well as one in the scrub near the active aeroplane hangar at the museum complex.

While on a roll, can anyone give an id to the T-28 Trojan in stripped metal finish at the museum compound next to the active hangar. Was told it was one of the ex Lao AF ones imported in a big batch, my basic research has these all accounted for and a good mate Geoff Goodall was unable to find an id for it.

Cheers

Richard Siudak
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0208 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]