Powered by Invision Power Board

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> West Sale Trackers
darren.crick
Posted: Oct 7 2009, 08:14 PM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Webmaster

Group: ADF Serials Admin
Member No.: 2

G'day All,

We have been asked to spread the word regarding the Grumman Trackers held by Hookway Aviation at West Sale and their disposal.

If anyone has any interest in parts or airframes as a whole please contact Stirling Hookway via email at; s_hookway@bigpond.com

It is my understanding they asking 50k per aircraft and are required to be sold by xmas next year (2010) and he is trying to honour his late father request they not be scrapped.

Feel free to mention you go his email from ADF-Serials as we have agreed to assist him where we can.
PMUsers Website
Dave Masterson
Posted: Oct 8 2009, 06:59 PM
Quote Post

C-17A Globemaster III (A41)

Group: Members
Member No.: 25

50K per airframe...crikey thats expensive for what they are now.
PMEmail Poster
Martin Edwards
Posted: Oct 8 2009, 09:05 PM
Quote Post

FA-18F Super Hornet (A44)

Member No.: 27

You must remember though that they were all flown into West Sale and have been in indoor storage ever since. Problem is they used the same two engines to ferry the whole lot!
PM
darren.crick
Posted: Oct 8 2009, 10:47 PM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Webmaster

Member No.: 2

what he asks and what he gets might just be two very different prices...
PMUsers Website
Luig
Posted: Oct 9 2009, 07:29 AM
Quote Post

Group: ADF Serials Team
Member No.: 80

Something more exciting at 100 times the price or whatever it is.... :D

http://www.controller.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=1160633
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Dave Masterson
Posted: Oct 9 2009, 05:46 PM
Quote Post

Martin said
"You must remember though that they were all flown into West Sale and have been in indoor storage ever since. Problem is they used the same two engines to ferry the whole lot! "

I was actually at Nowra in 1995 and stayed at Albatross(when I was with the Police) when they were flying some of these Trackers down to Victoria. I sat in one as they taxied it around the apron, boy if felt powerful. Had the photos but with a divorce etc they have gone missing in action. I think the guy doing the work then was Peter Hookway? may be wrong, but we used to have a few beers in the Senior Sailors mess and talk about the aircraft. They were fairly well rundown by then and I knew that they flew them all to Victoria with the undercarriage down. As you say they only had one pair of engines. The rest were lost with some sort of a scam conducted by an Australian businessman with the Brazilian or Argentine Government.

PMEmail Poster
Dave Masterson
Posted: Dec 23 2010, 05:10 PM
Quote Post

Has anyone heard anymore on the fate of the Trackers?
PMEmail Poster
Martin Edwards
Posted: Dec 24 2010, 10:04 AM
Quote Post

I called into West Sale last Sunday.
Everything was locked up and from what I could tell nothing has changed since my last visit in August 2009.
There was nobody I could ask so there may be some behind the scenes moves.
Has Mark Pilkington any news on Moorabbin's quest to acquire a Tracker?
PM
Martin Edwards
Posted: Aug 30 2011, 06:38 PM
Quote Post

PM
Luig
Posted: Aug 31 2011, 09:15 AM
Quote Post

Many thanks Martin. Sad photos indeed.
Dave Masterson
Posted: Aug 31 2011, 05:29 PM
Quote Post

Martin, they still look to be in reasonable condition, considering the years of storage. Much better than the two that are in Gannet Road near the Naval Air Station. Bush fires and rain have taken their toll on these two airframes with one of them now having lost its tail. Mate if I had the money and a big shed I'd buy one of those down at Sale ;) I see one of them still has the control panel/instruments fitted in the Sonar operators station.
PMEmail Poster
Brendan Cowan
Posted: Aug 31 2011, 06:45 PM
Quote Post

Messageboard Co-ordinator

Member No.: 48

It makes you want arrive with scrubbing gear and spruce them up a bit!

BC
Martin Edwards
Posted: Aug 31 2011, 08:14 PM
Quote Post

Apart from the build up of grime they are in very good condition.

The 3 outside are S-2E N12-153598 and S-2Gs N12-152811 and N12-153578.
They have only been out for a couple of months whilst the others have been inside all these years (coming up 20 years).

The 3 photographed inside the hangar are N12-152805, N12-152837 and N12-153576. These 3 were to be converted to fire bombers.

Tracker N12-153566 is outside the Gippsland Armed Forces Museum and I did photograph the interior a couple of years back. The photos are in the gallery.

The remainder are still in the Hookway hangar and haven't moved since my previous visits. There are photos of them all.
They are S-2Gs N12-152800, N12-152809, N12-152816, and S-2E N12-153604

I had a crawl under the ones outside in the weapons bay and undercart wells and there is bugger all corrosion.
Apart from some missing engines and props I am sure most are as complete as the day they arrived.
I had arranged with Stirling Hookway some time ago to enter the aircraft to take photos however I arrived too late on the day and I didn't want to hold people up.
The original deadline for disposal has past but there is a genuine desire on Stirling Hookway's behalf to see them find good homes. I believe that bona fide museums would be well looked after. Stirling can be contacted on s_hookway@bigpond.com
PM
gph
Posted: Mar 29 2012, 04:49 PM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Promotion Co-ord

Member No.: 63

Guys,

I had a call from Stirling Hookway asking if I knew anyone interested in the two trailers housing the Tracker Sim parked at Hookway Aviation at West Sale .

He was talking $2K but as the conversation developed, I got the impression that was a flexi price.

Does anyone know if the Sim is worth saving?

GPH
PMEmail Poster
Brendan Cowan
Posted: Mar 30 2012, 09:04 AM
Quote Post

Interesting,

What condition is it in?

Do we have any photos of it?

I wonder if any of the museums would see it as an intersting exhibit?

BC

Brendan Cowan
Posted: Mar 30 2012, 01:49 PM
Quote Post

I have been informed that:

"The F111C sim went to the RAAFM back in in 1992/3 and the "new sim" is the one in the recent post about the AMB HC.
The B707 and C130E trainers also went to RAAFM around 2005/6."

BC

Luig
Posted: Apr 1 2012, 03:19 PM
Quote Post

Does the 'sim' have a hot water heater? If it does - be careful. ;)
gph
Posted: Apr 1 2012, 03:45 PM
Quote Post

Did you ever see it working LL? It was U/S both times I had a squiz. :o(
PMEmail Poster
Luig
Posted: Apr 3 2012, 02:14 PM
Quote Post

Sorry, never set foot in it. The 'new sim' was off limits in case our 'hair on fire' attitude did damage. ;) Also our 'need to know' was ZERO and that was that - no banana. :lol:

Did get a ride in a Twacker But! And had a flog around the coast for a few minutes. Fester/Fuzzy B) was my hero! Sat in an Observer/Crewman Seat with another instructor pilot (Blue) while the under training crew did the business mostly.

This post has been edited by Luig on Apr 3 2012, 02:17 PM
gph
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 09:41 AM
Quote Post

I understand that one trailer contains a cockpit mockup while the other has the electronics to run the Sim. No piccys of inside yet. The trailers look a lot bigger than I remember. :unsure:

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMEmail Poster
Luig
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 01:29 PM
Quote Post

They were large - but how large I don't recall. Are these the original fire damaged ones? What happened to them? Were not the replacement trailers housed in a brick building or similar?
Brendan Cowan
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 01:54 PM
Quote Post

Wow!

They are bigger than I expected!

Almost bigger than a Tracker you might say!

While on the topic of Tracker memories, my most vivid mental images are when I was a lad in the 70's.

A friend and I used to go surf fishing on Golden Beach & Paradise Beach near Sale.

It was not unusual to see a Tracker beetling down the beach at not much more than surf rod height and cop a wave or wing waggle from the crew.

On days like that, catching a fish was not necessary for a satisfying day out!

:D

BC
gph
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 04:00 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Luig @ Apr 4 2012, 01:29 PM)
They were large - but how large I don't recall. Are these the original fire damaged ones? What happened to them? Were not the replacement trailers housed in a brick building or similar?

They were parked at the Weapons Systems Trainer (WST) building over near the swimming pool & canteen. I think they would have escaped the fire.
PMEmail Poster
Luig
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 04:05 PM
Quote Post

'Surf Fishing Rod Height' seems to have been a standard for beach runs in the late 1970s! B) A4G pilots say the same thing from same era.

I can assure youse that in the early 1970s such low level beach runs were ABSOLUTELY BANNED (near NAS Nowra). Penalty - instant dismissal was the story from Squadron Senior Pilots (XOs). It was alright to fly low level over the sea on Fleet Support or Operational Exercises but NEVER over a beach, especially any beach south of Nowra - near Nowra. WHY? The dreaded phone call from anyone annoyed by such an event.

Sometimes we had phone calls with investigation finding the aircraft was at 'higher' level for example.

Low flying over land was conducted south of NAS Nowra in the rugged valleys in the National Park. No phones nearby in those days and legal in any event. But not over beaches.

Yes I know the beaches further away (SALE) may have seen an odd aircraft; but mate NEVER near Nowra, although that does not seem to be the case later in the decade (from stories told these days). Perhaps all the previous complainers became permanently deaf from all the low flying aircraft? :rolleyes: :lol:
Luig
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 04:11 PM
Quote Post

gph,
The original trailer(s) were burnt from a hot water heating urn left on overnight (water boiled away to nothing and fire starting). This was sometime in 1968. These original trailer(s) were only housed with a tin roof with wooden? steps to get inside. When trailers replaced the brick WST was built especially (with no hot water urns?). The original trailers were about where the original 'aircrew hot food outlet' was situated down near 'H' & 'J' Hangars - perhaps a bit north of 'H' by those 'wooden wind tunnels'. :o
gph
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 04:13 PM
Quote Post

Is anyone in touch with an ex-Twacker type who can give us some info on this beast? :rolleyes:
PMEmail Poster
gph
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 04:17 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Luig @ Apr 4 2012, 04:11 PM)
gph,
The original trailer(s) were burnt from a hot water heating urn left on overnight (water boiled away to nothing and fire starting). This was sometime in 1968. These original trailer(s) were only housed with a tin roof with wooden? steps to get inside. When trailers replaced the brick WST was built especially (with no hot water urns?). The original trailers were about where the original 'aircrew hot food outlet' was situated down near 'H' & 'J' Hangars - perhaps a bit north of 'H' by those 'wooden wind tunnels'. :o

Ah,Ha! Didn't know that historic gem!

Make sure you write those memoirs "The Legendary Lucy Leader". :D
PMEmail Poster
gph
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 04:21 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Luig @ Apr 4 2012, 04:05 PM)
'Surf Fishing Rod Height' seems to have been a standard for beach runs in the late 1970s! B) A4G pilots say the same thing from same era.

I can assure youse that in the early 1970s such low level beach runs were ABSOLUTELY BANNED (near NAS Nowra). Penalty - instant dismissal was the story from Squadron Senior Pilots (XOs). It was alright to fly low level over the sea on Fleet Support or Operational Exercises but NEVER over a beach, especially any beach south of Nowra - near Nowra. WHY? The dreaded phone call from anyone annoyed by such an event.

Sometimes we had phone calls with investigation finding the aircraft was at 'higher' level for example.

Low flying over land was conducted south of NAS Nowra in the rugged valleys in the National Park. No phones nearby in those days and legal in any event. But not over beaches.

Yes I know the beaches further away (SALE) may have seen an odd aircraft; but mate NEVER near Nowra, although that does not seem to be the case later in the decade (from stories told these days). Perhaps all the previous complainers became permanently deaf from all the low flying aircraft? :rolleyes: :lol:

All true. ATC frequently took the phone call and we started sending one grumpy old bat a Christmas Card each year.
PMEmail Poster
Brendan Cowan
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 04:26 PM
Quote Post

Thanks everyone.

Phil, I wish I had a good camera back in the 70's!

I can absolutley confirm that the Tracker low level beach runs were a frequent occurance around Sale in the later years of that decade!

I never saw the need to complain. ;)

B)

BC
Luig
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 07:21 PM
Quote Post

gph, Yep there was a gap between the first and second edition WSTs. I hope you are not being offered the toasty first edition?
Brendan Cowan
Posted: Apr 5 2012, 06:19 PM
Quote Post

So,

Where would an A-4G guy go for a beach run (hypothetically of course)!

;)

BC
Luig
Posted: Apr 5 2012, 09:35 PM
Quote Post

No WHere - erewhon. Unless one wanted a quick march to see Commander Air via Sqdn CO/SP in the Tower at NAS Nowra then pack ye bags and begone.

It was a surprise to see (later than me) former A4G pilots chatting about their beach runs. I don't doubt it but AFAIK I know not around NAS Nowra. I had enough run ins for different reasons and survived and I did not need to tempt fate. :o

I was called to land by SATCO when doing A4G circuits at Optimum Angle of Attack. What was different was that I was doing the entire circuit, including wave off / touch and go and downwind turn base etc (that part SOP) at Optimum AoA. What was disconcerting to the tower was the climbout/turn downwind at Opt AoA. Solly Sir said our noble SP - no worries. A4G completely safe to fly at Opt AoA. Wot a nice SP. End of story and no carpet for him. :D

Supposedly landing short (on RW 08) was another furphy but that story is for another time and place. B)
Nick Thorne
Posted: Apr 13 2012, 10:23 AM
Quote Post

Bell Iroquois (A2)

Member No.: 6,053

I spent plenty of time in the back seat part of the simulator during my Tracker conversion course in 1979. This thing was a very Heath Robinson affair, all bell cranks and pushrods - much like the Stoof itself really. The backseat training was only for the No 3 seat as the No 4 seat was only equiped with the old sonar set, not the AQA7 fitted to the S-2Gs.

As for low level runs, these were not uncommon during my time. "Blowing the old ladies off the blow hole" was not unknown. :o

This post has been edited by Nick Thorne on Apr 13 2012, 10:24 AM
PMEmail Poster
Martin Edwards
Posted: Apr 13 2012, 11:31 AM
Quote Post

Hi Nick, welcome aboard adf-serials.
I do believe that I have come across your name around the net and if memory serves me right quite a few photos credited to you?
We look forward to your contributions.
Cheers
Martin
PM
Brendan Cowan
Posted: Apr 13 2012, 11:41 AM
Quote Post

Thanks Nick,

And welcome to our merry band.

Now was that you I was waving to at Sale all those years ago?

;)

Cheers

Brendan
Luig
Posted: Apr 13 2012, 02:52 PM
Quote Post

Good that you are here Nick. You have on the internet the all time best photo of what HMAS Melbourne looks like during an approach (albeit a Twacker one but no worries). :D Just excellent.

As indicated ten years earlier low flying around NAS Nowra - especially on beaches - was not tolerated. I guess times change. Perhaps beach goers expected them by 1979? :lol:

You will find a bunch of RAN FAA Fixed Wing stuff at SpazSinbad on SkyDrive:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=cbcd63d6340707e6&sa=822839791

This post has been edited by Luig on Apr 13 2012, 04:00 PM
wapiti
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 08:20 PM
Quote Post

Hawker Hurricane (A60)

Member No.: 104

Yes , i am interested in tracker sim.

cheers dave debdavid@aapt.net.au ph 0407 554941

This post has been edited by wapiti on Apr 17 2012, 12:38 AM
PMEmail Poster
rockdropper
Posted: Sep 3 2013, 12:16 PM
Quote Post

CAC Sabre (A94)

Member No.: 3,608

Does anyone know the current situation with the Hookway Trackers and sims?
PMEmail Poster
Martin Edwards
Posted: Sep 3 2013, 01:03 PM
Quote Post

PM
rockdropper
Posted: Sep 3 2013, 02:47 PM
Quote Post

CAC Sabre (A94)

Thanks.

So they're not in bad condition. Are they back in the hangar now?
PMEmail Poster
Martin Edwards
Posted: Sep 3 2013, 04:33 PM
Quote Post

Last time I looked they were still outside as per 2011 photos
PM
Brenden S
Posted: Sep 8 2013, 03:20 PM
Quote Post

Lockheed Hercules (A97)

Member No.: 414

They all look in pretty good nick considering. I wonder how much he would sell one of the airframes for?
PMEmail Poster
Dave Masterson
Posted: Sep 8 2013, 03:30 PM
Quote Post

Last I heard was $45k....way to much for what they are. If they were a lot cheaper they would sell B)
PMEmail Poster
rockdropper
Posted: Sep 12 2013, 09:58 PM
Quote Post

CAC Sabre (A94)

Hi guys,

Does anyone have contacts for the Hookway Trackers? I'm keen to look into the prospect of a purchase

Cheers
PMEmail Poster
rockdropper
Posted: Sep 13 2013, 06:44 PM
Quote Post

CAC Sabre (A94)

Disregard, made contact today :D
PMEmail Poster
Dave Masterson
Posted: Sep 13 2013, 08:32 PM
Quote Post

Call me with the outcome Rockie :rolleyes:
PMEmail Poster
Brenden S
Posted: Sep 18 2013, 02:21 PM
Quote Post

Lockheed Hercules (A97)

Member No.: 414

I would offer 20K for one at the most. You would spend at least over $400k to get them airworthy if you paid people to do it for you, if not more. Engines and props would be about around $160k alone.
PMEmail Poster
Martin Edwards
Posted: Oct 12 2013, 04:57 PM
Quote Post

Looks like time is up for the West Sale Trackers

They are up for auction on Grays on-line auction
http://www.graysonline.com/sale/3003984/bo...ackers?spr=true

We are calling for immediate offers on 11x Ex ADF Grumman Tracker aircrafts and associated spare parts. The crafts are located in Sale, Victoria and inspection can be arranged by appointment.

The aircrafts are being offered as complete parcel only.

Included within the parcel are:
S-2G – Serial 152800
S-2G – Serial 152805
S-2G – Serial 152809
S-2G – Serial 152811
S-2G – Serial 152837
S-2G – Serial 153566
S-2G – Serial 153576
S-2G – Serial 153578
S-2E – Serial 153598
S-2E – Serial 153604

For more information please feel free to contact Scott Matthews on 0400 827 333.

PM
ausflyboy
Posted: Nov 3 2013, 11:47 AM
Quote Post

New User

Member No.: 6,568

So the Auction has closed and allegedly they are heading overseas. Anyone heard further on this?

Cheers,
Chris
PMEmail Poster
rockdropper
Posted: Nov 5 2013, 10:49 AM
Quote Post

CAC Sabre (A94)

Yep, going to the states for conversion to firebombers I believe... :huh:
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0373 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]