Powered by Invision Power Board

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Winjeel Crash Crew Names Please,, info not on the Winjeel page.
Luig
Posted: Jun 26 2008, 02:55 PM
Quote Post

FA-18F Super Hornet (A44)

Group: ADF Serials Team
Member No.: 80

During my Basic Flying Training at RAAF Point Cook early in 1968: (No.67 pilot course)

Winjeel A85-416 CA25-16 Delivered 03/56. Served with 1BFTS 01-03/1968. Crashed 03/68, Port Arlington VIC.

The RAAF instructor and Army trainee pilot were killed when low flying in strong wind conditions. The stbd wing failed under G loading, with the severe turbulence from strong winds at low level, killing the instructor instantly; while the aircraft crashed killing the student who had no opportunity to bail out. Can't think of the crew names at moment. I think the student was in No.68 or 69 pilot course. There were a lot of pilot courses in one year in those days.

It was sobering when we considered the Winjeel to be strongly built.

This post has been edited by Luig on Jun 26 2008, 02:57 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Luig
Posted: Jun 26 2008, 03:53 PM
Quote Post

03.05.68 Flight Lieutenant W. Clarke Bellarine Peninsula, VIC Winjeel crashed during a training sortie

03.05.68 2nd Lieutenant J. Mayhew Bellarine Peninsula, VIC Winjeel crashed during a training sortie

http://www.ispa.asn.au/inmemoryof.html

These names seem to be accurate from my recollection now that my memory has been jogged.

I gather the dates at ISPA have been recorded as US style dates? So in fact the actual date is 5th May 1968?

Are these details correct please? TAH.

This post has been edited by Luig on Jun 26 2008, 03:58 PM
Luig
Posted: Jul 22 2011, 11:00 PM
Quote Post

An Army pilot on No.68 Pilot Course has confirmed the details of the Winjeel crash. I'm guessing the date from the ISPA website is actually the 5th of March 1968. One day the Yanks will wake up to how to use dates same as everyone else.

“Army Pilot was 2Lt Barry Mayhew and the instructor was Flt Lt ? Clarke

I think the accident was the result of a low level (maybe because they stuffed up a manoeuvre and arrived close to the ground?) rolling pullup that exceeded the structural G limits. At least one survived the crash but the eye witness farmer could not approach the burning aircraft and the fire finished both crew.

I don't think wind or turbulence was a factor from my recall of the crash report."

Do I have to also contact the Winjeel person about this updated record?
batman
Posted: Jul 23 2011, 07:49 AM
Quote Post

Lockheed Hercules (A97)

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,524

I remember the crash, in "Blue" area, on Bellarine Peninsula.

I knew Clarke, as I had baby-sat as a student for his kids. He was an ex-Sabre pilot from Butterworth, beautiful wife. As a stude, I just called him "sir", but I will rack my brains for his name. It was something short, and seeing the "W" initial on the first post, I think it must have been Bill (William).

This post has been edited by batman on Jul 23 2011, 07:50 AM
PMEmail Poster
Luig
Posted: Jul 23 2011, 09:41 PM
Quote Post

Ha, Blue Area. A Practice Force Landing Area - have not heard that term for 40 odd years. :D I nearly came to grief there by overshooting from a PFL and not taking out the carby filter. Boy did the engine run rough at full power climbing out with the filter on. Did the checks again to find it and a sigh of relief - all the while checking for a real forced landing field. B)

What pilot course were you on Batman? My Army contact was on No.68 with Navy Chap who had to go back otherwise he would have been on No.67 with a bunch of Navy including wothisname. Small world eh.

Even though perhaps the accident investigation may not have put weight on the wind on that day it sure was strong and turbulent. I never got to see the report - only hear the scuttlebutt at the time about possible causes.
Martin Edwards
Posted: Jul 24 2011, 12:15 PM
Quote Post

Group: ADF Serials Admin
Member No.: 27

I have updated the Winjeel page with the details
PM
Luig
Posted: Jul 25 2011, 06:16 AM
Quote Post

Many thanks Martin.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0217 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]